Picture Gallery Previous / Next
10

West Tower of the Derwent dam

The Derwent's West tower which also contains The Derwent museum which is free admission {contributions gratefuly accepted} and is open on Sundays and Bank Holidays only.

Above the doorway is the comemorative stone which was laid in 1902, however that was when construction began it was not finished till July 1916. This date could have been added later, in fact the stone shows a dash after the date "1902 -" so "1902 - 1916" could easily be added.

This area near the doorway is very awkward to get to, had the stone been laid nearly a hundred years ago in the opposite East tower a lot more visitors would see it, as it is common and very popular footpath which goes right past the doorway.